Back in 1998 Derek Marshall had a concept for a restaurant that would let produce speak for itself. Gamba was to become about the simple cooking of fantastic produce and over a decade on, the ethos is still the same. A modern new elegantly styled restaurant complements Derek’s elegant, classic but modern style of cooking.
Gamba’s cookbook echoes Derek’s concept for the restaurant, ‘Simple Cooking’ where the secret of the famous Gamba’s fish soup is untold.
It all started for Derek back at the Fountain restaurant where he realised his passion and aptitude for cooking. Derek spent time in the Channel Islands and French Alps learning his trade. On return to his home town he was appointed the head chefs position at one of Glasgow most prestigious restaurants, Rogano. A brief sabbatical to Spain gave Derek the opportunity to hone the art of cooking fish. On return again to Glasgow Derek was appointed head chef of Papingo, another classic restaurant in Glasgow dining history.
In 1998 Derek was head chef and co-owner of Gamba, which would turn out to be one of Glasgow’s finest restaurants. Derek is now sole owner of Gamba and looks forward to a prosperous future.
- Two AA Rosette Awarded restaurant
- Entry in Sunday Times top 100 Restaurants in Britain
- Auchentoshan ‘Spirit of Glasgow’ Restaurant of the Year 2000 & 2001
- The List magazine Glasgow Restaurant of the Year 2003 & 2004.
- BII Scotland DRAM 2013 Customer Service award
- 3 star Sustainable Restaurant Association